Yigo Guam Temple

Video and Model Details

Video


Audio

Mariana Crow · Corvus kubaryi
Andria Kroner, XC254698. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/254698.

Technical

Modeled: 2.79b
Render: Cycles

Whole Scene

Vertices:
Faces:
Objects:
File Size:

Temple Only

Vertices:
Faces:
Objects:
File Size:

Yigo Guam Temple Wiki

[TOC]

Description

Members in Guam must typically travel to Manila to visit a temple.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been in Guam since the 1940s. The first Church members on Guam probably came as members of the armed forces during World War II. Guam branches of from 50 to 300 servicemen began functioning in 1944, acting under the Far East Mission. In 1945, four groups were organized on the island. On one occasion, they dedicated the graves of fallen Church servicemen.

In 1951, fund-raising events by the members raised enough money to purchase land and two Quonset huts, which they used for a chapel and classrooms. The facilities were dedicated in 1953 and Guam became a dependent branch of the Oahu Hawaii Stake.

The first missionaries arrived in August 1957. As members increased, land for another meetinghouse was purchased. A new meetinghouse in Barrigada was dedicated 10 March 1970, and the Guam Branch became a ward Open houses were frequently held, but few joined the Church. In May 1976, the Guam Ward was divided. The first Chamorro couple to join, Don Calvo and his wife, Maria, were baptized in May 1977. The Agat Branch was created in 1978. And in 1979, Herbert J. Leddy, the first missionary of Chamorro lineage, was called to the Tennessee Nashville Mission.

The Micronesia Guam Mission was created on 1 April 1980. In June, the Guam District was created with four branches.

In 1989, selections of the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ were translated into Chamorro, and in the same year, Herbert J. Leddy became the first Chamorro member to be called as district president. Membership in 1995 was 1,400. Today there are 2,516 members, 4 wards, 1 mission, 1 stake, and 1 family history center in Guam.

History

Missionaries from the Church first arrived in Guam in 1957, and membership has since grown to more than 2,500 Latter-day Saints.

Announcement

The Yigo Guam Temple was announced during the during the last session of General Conference on 7 October 2018 Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. President Russell M. Nelson announced the Temple along with 11 others: [1]

  • Lagos Nigeria Temple
  • Salvador Brazil Temple
  • Puebla Mexico Temple
  • Washington County Utah Temple
  • Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple
  • Davao Philippines Temple
  • Yigo Guam Temple
  • San Juan Puerto Rico Temple
  • Yuba City California Temple
  • Auckland New Zealand Temple
  • Mendoza Argentina Temple
  • Praia Cabo Verde Temple

On February 1, 2019, the official artist rendering of the temple was released to the public.

Groundbreaking

Elder Yoon Hwan Choi, president of the Asia North Area, will preside over the groundbreaking ceremony for the Yigo Guam Temple on Saturday, May 4, 2019. Attendance at the site will be by invitation only, but the ceremony is expected to be broadcast to chapels within the proposed temple district. Construction of the temple is anticipated to take two years.[2]

Open House

Dedication

Dedicatory Order

The Yigo Guam Temple will be the first temple built in Micronesia.

Details

Location

The Yigo Guam Temple will be constructed at the site of an existing meetinghouse located at the corner of Marine Corp Drive and Milalak Drive in the village of Yigo.

  1. [1] “Twelve Temples Announced as October 2018 General Conference Closes,” The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, 7 Oct. 2018.
  2. [2] “Temple Groundbreakings Announced for Pocatello and Guam,” The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, 1 Feb. 2019.
Sidebar