Temples of the Restoration: Joseph Smith JR.
Joseph Smith Jr., 1830-1844
- 1830 April 6 – Called as Prophet
- 1844 June 27 – Martyred, Carthage, Illinois
- March – Announced, Joseph Smith Jr.
- June – Design Revealed.
- August-September – Design Revised.
- August 3 – Ground Broken
- 27 December – Announced, Joseph Smith
- 5 June – Construction Commenced
- November – Independence Abandoned.
- 27 March – Dedicated, Joseph Smith.
- 3 July – Groundbreaking, Excavation
- 4 July – Site Dedicated, Brigham Young (Apostle).
- October – Site Dedicated, Brigham Young (Apostle).
- August – Announced.
- 18 February – Groundbreaking Joseph Smith.
Apostolic Interregnum, 1844-1847
After the Martyrdom of Joseph Smith the remaining Apostles took over leadership of the Church for a period of a few years until Brigham Young was Called, sustained and set apart as the second Prophet and President of the Church.
- 1-3 May – Dedication, Orson Hyde.
Temples of the Pioneers: Brigham Young
Brigham Young, 1847-1877
- 1830 December 27 – Called as Prophet
- 1877 August 29 – Died, Salt Lake City
- 28 July – Salt Lake Temple announced, Brigham Young
- March 11 – Nauvoo Temple Sold
- 8-9 October – Temple destroyed by fire.
- May 27 – Tornado demolishes 3/4 of remaining structure.
- February 14 – Site Dedication, Heber C. Kimball
- February 14 – Groundbreaking, Brigham Young
- April – Endowment House planned as temporary temple space.
- May 5 – Endowment House dedicated, Heber C. Kimball.
- October 2 – Endowment House expanded, baptistry added, and rededicated.
- February – Remaining walls demolished by city.
- 13 January – Temple Announced, Brigham Young.
- 9 November – Ground Broken, George A. Smith (Apostle).
- April 25 – Groundbreaking, Site Dedication, Brigham Young.
- May 18 – Site Dedication, Orson Pratt; Groundbreaking, John W. Young
- 4 June-4 August – Dedicated, Daniel H. Wells (Apostle).
- Total Dedicated Temples: 1
- October 6 – Announced
Apostolic Interregnum, 1877-1880
After the Death of Brigham Young the remaining Apostles took over leadership of the Church for a period of a few years until John Taylor was called, sustained and set apart as the third Prophet and President of the Church.
John Taylor, 1880-1887
- 1880 October 10 – Called as Prophet
- 1887 July 25 – Died, Kaysville Utah
- Due to a lighting strike 5 years earlier, the shorter spire had been damaged, Though repaired at that time, the decision was made to make a larger spire that looked more appropriate to the size of the temple.
- 17-19 May – Dedicated, John Taylor
- Total Dedicated Temples: 2
Apostolic Interregnum, 1887-1889
After the Death of Brigham Young the remaining Apostles took over leadership of the Church for a period of a few years until Wilford Woodruff was called, sustained and set apart as the fourth Prophet and President of the Church.
Wilford Woodruff, 1889-1898
- 1889 April 7 – Called as Prophet
- 1898 September 2 – Died, San Francisco, California
- November – Wilford Woodruff orders Endowment Portion and Baptistry of Endowment House demolished in order to prevent polygamous marriages from continuing. Only Greenhouse and office portion remained.
- April 5 – Public Open House
- April 6-24 – Dedication, Wilford Woodruff
Lorenzo Snow, 1898-1901
- 1898 September 13 – Called as Prophet
- 1901 October 10 – Died, Salt Lake City
- Around the turn of the Century the water tower was removed, and the annex expanded.
- Annex expanded to the west, plus a new small entryway on the east.
Joseph F. Smith, 1901-1918
- 1901 October 17 – Called as Prophet
- 1918 November 19 – Died, Salt Lake City
Heber J. Grant, 1918-1945
- 1918 November 23 – Called as Prophet
- 1945 May 14 – Died, Salt Lake City
- Early in the 1900’s the upper parapets of the Temple were painted to look like sandstone. Additionally, the annex was again remodeled and expanded.
- New Boiler room added to the North of the temple. At this time the towers were painted a dark tan color.
- Annex Expanded to the west around this time, primary chimney replaced with chimney up on hill to reduce soot fouling on temple.
- Due to a fire in 1928, the Annex on the temple had to be completely rebuilt from the ground up The redesign took some time and the new annex was finished in 1937. At the same time, the interior of the temple was remodeled, the lower assembly hall being permanently partitioned into rooms for the presentation of the endowment in a progressive fashion, with live actors.
- Grounds north of temple are excavated and added to the temple, above ground annex is expanded
George Albert Smith, 1945-1951
- 1945 May 21 – Called as Prophet
- 1951 April 4 – Died, Salt Lake City
- Portions of the annex are removed and replaced, the annex overall is expanded to nearly double the size. The temple proper was plumbed and bathrooms added. New chimney added in further attempt to reduce persistent soot fouling issues. Elevator added to the North side of the Temple proper, as the many staircases were causing delays in the presentation of ordinances.
- In the 1950’s the temple annex was expanded, reaching 3 times it’s original size. During this particular expansion and renovation the Inscription was added to the front of the tower for the first time.
- Above ground portion of the annex expanded again.
David O. McKay, 1951-1970
- 1951 April 9 – Called as Prophet
- 1970 January 18 – Died, Salt Lake City
- New Entryway added to north end of the temple annex
- Grounds around and north of temple are excavated and annex demolished. Underground portions attached to new tunnel leading to tabernacle, north visitors center, and future Church Office building. A new annex is built above ground farther north of temple
- The archway tunnel under the east end of the temple was enclosed and added to the temple, the space being turned into dressing room and nursery space.
Joseph Fielding Smith, 1970-1972
- 1970 January 23 – Called as Prophet
- 1972 July 2 – Died, Salt Lake City
Harold B. Lee, 1972-1973
- 1972 July 7 – Called as Prophet
- 1973 December 26 – Died, Salt Lake City
- New expanded entryway added to east side of annex.
Spencer W. Kimball, 1973-1985
- 1973 December 30 – Called as Prophet
- 1985 November 5 – Died, Salt Lake City
- In the 1970’s the temple Underwent a major renovation. The renovation included a new annex, an addition on the west end, and major mechanical and electrical system upgrades.
- Due to the difficulty that the many staircases in the temple caused in Presenting ordinances, the need came to gut and redo the temple in level, organized floors. The entirety of the temple was gutted and new floors and rooms built within the shell.
- February 5- March 3 – Open house for the newly renovated Temple
- March 13-15 – Rededicated, Spencer W. Kimball
- The temple closed for a full remodel and 2 story expansion of the annex to the westward. Remodel included replacement of the entryway.
- 6–8 June 1985 – Open house for newly remodeled temple.
- 14–16 June 1985, Gordon B. Hinckley. (Apostle)
Ezra Taft Benson, 1985-1994
- 1985 November 10 – Called as Prophet
- 1994 May 30 – Died, Salt Lake City
Howard W. Hunter, 1994-1995
- 1994 June 5 – Called as Prophet
- 1995 March 3 – Died, Salt Lake City
Gordon B. Hinckley, 1994-1995
- 1995 March 12 – Called as Prophet
- 2008 January 27 – Died, Salt Lake City
Thomas S. Monson, 2008-2018
- 2008 February 3 – Called as Prophet
- 2018 January 2 – Died, Salt Lake City
Russell M. Nelson, 2018-
- 2018 January 14 – Called as Prophet