Video and Model Details
Manti Utah Wiki
- 1 Video and Model Details
- 2 Renders
- 3 Manti Utah Wiki
- 3.1 Description
- 3.2 History
- 3.3 Presidents
- 3.4 Details
- 4 Sources and Links
The Manti Utah Temple, Located in the city of Manti, Utah, is the fifth constructed temple, the third temple built west of the Mississippi River, and the third still in use. (The St. George Utah and Logan Utah temples preceded it.) The Manti Temple was designed by William Harrison Folsom, who moved to Manti while the temple was under construction. It is one of only two remaining LDS temples in the world where live actors are used in the endowment ceremonies (the other is the Salt Lake Temple); all other temples use films in the presentation of the endowment. Like the Original St. George and Original Logan Temples, it uses 4 progressive rooms to represent progression through life.
Brigham Young announced the decision to build a temple in Manti on June 25, 1875. The Salt Lake Temple had been announced in 1847, but construction was still underway and not finished until 1893. The Manti Temple was built, along with the St. George and Logan temples, to satisfy the church’s immediate need for temple work. The site for the temple was the Manti Stone Quarry, a large hill immediately northeast of town. Early Mormon settlers in the area had prophesied that this would be the site of a temple.
Ground was broken on 4 April 1877 by Brigham Young. Earlier that morning Brigham took Warren S. Snow with him to a corner of the lot. He said:
Here is the spot where the Prophet Moroni stood and dedicated this piece of land for a Temple site, and that is the reason why the location is made here, and we can’t move it from this spot.
The temple was completed in 1888, and a private dedication was held on May 17, 1888, with a prayer written by Wilford Woodruff. Three public dedications were then held on May 21–23, 1888, and were directed by Lorenzo Snow.
The Manti Temple was the location of the Holy of Holies until the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated. The room was then used for sealings until it was closed in the late 1970s.
Construction of a great stone stairway leading up the hill to the west temple doors began in 1907.
1935 New annex extension containing Linen Room and Office space.
On 15 July 1935, the temple was fully lit at night for the first time.
On 18 March 1940 work was undertaken to remove the stone stairs and to beautify the grounds.
Between 1944 and 1945 the annex, chapel, kitchen, Garden Room, and men’s and women’s areas were remodeled.
31 July 1956 New annex Entrance begun.
The tunnel beneath the east tower of the temple through which wagons and cars could pass was closed off in the 1960s.
In 1981 church officials decided that the interior of the temple needed extensive remodeling. The renovation took four years, during which murals and original furniture were restored, offices were enlarged and remodeled, a separate door was made to the baptistry, water and weather damage were repaired, an elevator was installed, and locker rooms were improved among many other projects.
Exterior preservation efforts have also occurred since that time.
|TEMPLE PRESIDENT||YEARS SERVED|
|President Lonnie B. Nally||2015–|
|President George S. Grimshaw||2012–2015|
|President Ed J. Pinegar||2009–2012|
|President J. Bruce Harless||2006–2009|
|President Archie M. Brugger||2003–2006|
|President Jack H. Goaslind Jr.||2000–2003|
|President Graham W. Doxey||1997–2000|
|President Lee R. Barton||1994–1997|
|President Garth P. Monson||1991–1994|
|President Earl R. Olsen||1988–1991|
|President Alma P. Burton||1985–1988|
|President Wilbur W. Cox||1978–1985|
|President June W. Black||1974–1978|
|President Reuel E. Christensen||1968–1974|
|President A. Bent Peterson||1959–1968|
|President Lewis R. Anderson||1943–1959|
|President Robert D. Young||1933–1943|
|President Lewis Anderson||1906–1933|
|President John D. T. McAllister||1893–1906|
|President Anthon H. Lund||1891–1893|
|President Daniel H. Wells||1888–1891|
The Manti Temple combines the Gothic Revival, French Renaissance Revival, French Second Empire, and Colonial architectural styles. The temple has 100,373 square feet (9,325.0 m2) of floor space, eight sealing rooms, four ordinance rooms, and a Celestial room. The exterior is made of fine-textured, cream-colored oolite limestone from quarries in the hill on which the temple now stands. The two towers of the temple are 179 feet (54.56 metres) (55 m) tall, and the open center spiral staircases inside the towers are marvels of pioneer ingenuity.
Spires and Moroni
Compass and picture
Sources and Links
- Temple at LDS.org(official)
- Temple at MormonTemples.org (official)
- Temple at MormonNewsroom.org (official)
- Temple at LDSChurchTemples.com
- Temple at LDSChurchNewsArchive.com
- Temple at Wikipedia
- Bendixen, Nani (2009), “The Construction of the Manti Temple”, BYU Religious Education 2009 Student Symposium, Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, pp. 135–147
- Dant, Doris R. (1999), “Minerva Teichert’s Manti Temple Murals”, BYU Studies, 38 (3): 6–44
- Hargis, Barabra (1968). A folk history of the Manti Temple (M.A. thesis). Department of English, Brigham Young University.
- Rasmussen, Victor J. (1988), The Manti Temple, Manti, Utah: Manti Temple Centennial Committee, OCLC 18171497
- Stubbs, Glen R. (1988) , Temple on a Hill: a History of the Manti Temple (4th (Centennial) ed.), Rexburg, Idaho: Ricks College Press, OCLC 24263168
- Stubbs, Glen R. (1960). A History of the Manti Temple(M.S. thesis). Department of History, Brigham Young University.
- Satterfield, Rick, “Manti Utah Temple”, Temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, LDSChurchTemples.com, retrieved 2012-10-11↩
-  Boyd K. Packer. The Holy Temple, p. 35↩
-  “The Manti Temple”, Ensign, March 1978↩
- “May this delightful location be known as a holy hill of Zion, among Thy people”, Church News, Jan 1, 1950↩
-  Hart, John L. (May 7, 1988), “Manti Temple 100 years old, in mint condition for centennial”, Church News↩
-  “News of the Church”, Ensign, August 1985↩
- Cause Thy Holy Spirit to enter and pervade all of its rooms and facilities”, Church News, 23 June 1985↩
-  “Two temples scheduled for exterior preservation”, Church News, June 24, 1995↩