[arve url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYrWZkwS360″ /]
Video and Model Details
Hamilton New Zealand Temple Wiki
- 1 Video and Model Details
- 2 Renders
- 3 Hamilton New Zealand Temple Wiki
- 3.1 Description
- 3.2 History
- 3.3 Presidents
- 3.4 Details
- 4 Sources and Links
- 5 Social and Sharing
The Hamilton New Zealand Temple (formerly the New Zealand Temple) is the 13th constructed and 11th operating temple. It was the first temple built in the Southern Hemisphere and second built in Polynesia, following the Laie Hawaii Temple (1919). It is located just outside the city of Hamilton, New Zealand in the suburb of Temple View.
LDS history in New Zealand goes back to the 1850’s when the first Mormon missionaries arrived in the area. Missionaries found many who were ready to hear the gospel, but the first stake, in Auckland, was not organized until one hundred years after the arrival of the missionaries. Most of the first converts in New Zealand were of Maori or Polynesian descent. Since then, however, the Church in New Zealand has become culturally mixed with members in the area of Australian, British, European, Asian, and North American descent. The needs of all the members in New Zealand are met by having special branches in other languages as needed.
The building of a Mormon temple in New Zealand was announced by David O. McKay, the ninth president of the Mormon Church, on 17 February 1955. The site for the temple was first chosen by Wendell B. Mendenhall who had been given a special assignment by President David O. McKay to choose the site.
A ground-breaking ceremony and site dedication were held on 21 December 1955. Ariel S. Ballif, the New Zealand Mission President at the time, broke the ground.
The site of the temple is on 86 acres (350,000 m2), which includes the LDS-owned Church College of New Zealand, formerly a secondary school for students aged twelve to eighteen. Ninety-two percent of the students were Mormon and the school strove to teach secular as well as religious subjects. “On 29 June 2006, LDS Church leaders announced that the Church College of New Zealand would cease accepting new students in 2007 and would close at the end of the 2009 school year; in discussing its decision, the church cited a policy of the church to close its private secondary schools when the public school system is able to offer quality education.”
The temple and the school were built entirely by church labour missionaries who volunteered all of their time. Local members supported these workers with money, food, and lodging.The Church College of New Zealand was dedicated six days after the dedication of the adjoining Hamilton New Zealand Temple. The first stake in New Zealand was created the month after the dedication of the Hamilton New Zealand Temple in the city of Auckland, about 80 miles north of Hamilton.
Hugh B. Brown, then an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, placed the ceremonial cornerstone of the temple on 22 December 1956.
Less than a year and a half after the cornerstone ceremony the temple was opened for public tours for 23 days prior to the dedication. During this time about 112,500 people toured the temple.
The New Zealand Temple was dedicated by David O. McKay on 20–22 April 1958. The temple serves Latter-day Saints in New Zealand and nearby South Pacific islands.
The Hamilton New Zealand Temple closed in 1993 for two months to replace wall coverings and furnishings.Ocien
In 1994, the temple closed again for 9 months for a more extensive renovation that included installation of air conditioning and removal of asbestos.
For a time, the Hamilton New Zealand Temple offered overnight endowment sessions from Friday through Saturday to accommodate the many members who came on the weekend.
|TEMPLE PRESIDENT||YEARS SERVED|
|President Michael A. Roberts||2016–|
|President Sidney M. Going||2013–2016|
|President James Dunlop||2010–2013|
|President Paul T. McAndrew||2007–2010|
|President James A. Morely||2004–2007|
|President William Campbell||2001–2004|
|President Rulon G. Craven||1998–2001|
|President Kenneth J. Domney||1995–1998|
|President Douglas J. Martin||1992–1995|
|President John Sonnenberg||1990–1992|
|President Milton W. Russon||1987–1990|
|President Glen L. Rudd||1984–1987|
|President Hugh A. Daysh||1982–1984|
|President William Roberts||1978–1982|
|President Alfred R. I. Gary||1974–1978|
|President Fred W. Schwendiman||1971–1974|
|President Zachariah E. Brown||1968–1971|
|President Heber G. Jensen||1964–1968|
|President John B. Hawkes||1961–1964|
|President E. Albert Rosenvall||1958–1961|
When constructed The Hamilton New Zealand Temple was a sister building to the Bern Switzerland Temple and the London England Temple. All three featured one very large endowment room capable of holding 250 individuals, and 3 sealing rooms. Unlike the London and Bern temples, which were renovated and expanded in the early 1990’s, Hamilton still contains most of its original floorplan. It is 44,212 square feet, has 1 ordinance room, 3 sealing rooms, a Celestial room, baptistery, and 75 other rooms needed to carry out temple ordinances and temple work.
The spire rises to a height of 157 feet (48 m).
Spires and Moroni
Compass and picture
Individuals and Contractors
Sources and Links
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at LDS.org(official)
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at MormonTemples.org (official)
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at MormonNewsroom.org (official)
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at LDSChurchTemples.com
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at LDSChurchNewsArchive.com
- Hamilton New Zealand Temple at Wikipedia
- N. B. Lundwall (1993). “Site for New Zealand Temple Selected and Acquired”. Temples of the Most High. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0884948757. OCLC 29788408. Unauthorized reprint.↩
Social and Sharing