Video and Model Details
This is my second attempt at reproducing the Barranquilla Temple. Unlike my first attempt, the temple was nearly complete and in the middle of the open house as I made this model. I was able to find fairly decent reference material for the model.
Additionally, I tried a few new things with some of the textures. It is not greatly noticeable, but I put a lot of effort into making sure the pavers were facing the correct direction for each section of sidewalk.
Turquoise-winged Parrotlet · Forpus spengeli
Andrew Spencer, XC165598. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/165598.
Bicolored Conebill · Conirostrum bicolor
Bernabe Lopez-Lanus, XC56977. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/56977.
Video and Model Details
The Barranquilla Colombia Temple is a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) under construction in Puerto Colombia, Colombia. The Barranquilla Colombia Temple serves members from the following seven stakes and two districts in Colombia: Barranquilla Colombia El Carmen Stake, Barranquilla Colombia Hipodromo Stake, Barranquilla Colombia Paraiso Stake, Cartagena Colombia Los Alpes Stake, Cartagena Colombia Stake, Montería Colombia Stake, Santa Marta Colombia District, Sincelejo Colombia District, and Valledupar Colombia Stake.
People from North America living in Cali and Bogotá made up most of the first 45 members. Then in May 1966, missionaries entered the country. Just five years later, there were 27 congregations meeting in 10 different cities. In 1975, a chapel was built. Today there are over 1 members organized into 29 stakes and 11 districts.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the Barranquilla Colombia Temple took place on Saturday, 20 February 2016, in the 50th anniversary year of the Church in Colombia. Elder Juan A. Uceda, president of the South America Northwest Area, presided at the ceremony. It was no coincidence, he explained, that construction of the country’s second temple was beginning in that anniversary year. The hand of the Lord is at work. He challenged members to make temple attendance a regular family tradition, to hang photographs of the temple in their homes, and to conduct family history research. In his dedicatory prayer, he asked the Lord’s blessings on all who would participate in the temple’s construction including government leaders. Following the prayer, Church and civic leaders formally broke ground for the temple. Afterward, many more took the opportunity to turn a shovelful of dirt.
Thousands of others viewed the event, via satellite, in meetinghouses across the country. Also in attendance were local government, police and business leaders.
The public open house for the Barranquilla Colombia Temple was held from Saturday, November 3, 2018, through Saturday, November 24 except for November 4, 11, and 18, 2018.
Youth were invited to attend a devotional especially for them on Saturday, 8 December 2018.
The temple was dedicated on Sunday, December 9, in three sessions at 9:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. The dedication was broadcast to all congregations in Colombia.
The Barranquilla Colombia Temple is the second temple in Colombia; following the Bogotá Colombia Temple. It is the 161st Temple built in the world. At the time of it’s dedication there were 10 additional temples announced or under construction in South America. Additionally there were 10 temples under construction worldwide, with another 30 announced awaiting groundbreaking.
Just outside of Barranquilla, in the picturesque oceanside community of Puerto Colombia across from Colegio Alemán, approximately two kilometers west of Barranquilla proper, the Barranquilla Colombia Temple rises from a hill located on the highway to Cartagena. The elvated property overlooks the Magdalena River- the biggest river in Colombia, and the ocean.
Spires and Moroni
Individuals and Contractors
Sources and Links
- Temple at LDS.org(official)
- Temple at MormonTemples.org (official)
- Temple at MormonNewsroom.org (official)
- Temple at LDSChurchTemples.com
- Temple at LDSChurchNewsArchive.com
- Temple at Wikipedia
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, “New Temples Announced for France, Africa, Colombia, Utah and Wyoming,” 1 Oct. 2011.↩
- Walker, Joseph (1 October 2011). “LDS general conference opens with the announcement of six new Mormon temples”. Deseret News. Salt Lake City. Retrieved 1 October 2011↩
- “Mormon church president announces plans for new temples in Utah, Wyoming, Colombia, Africa”. Washington Post. AP. 1 October 2011. Retrieved 5 October 2011↩
- “Ground is broken at site of future temple in Barranquilla, Colombia,” Church News 20 Feb. 2016, 1 Apr. 2016.↩
- “Second Colombian Temple Opens for Free Public Tours”, Newsroom, LDS Church, 2018-10-30↩
- “Announcement of Temple Dedication Dates in Chile and Colombia: Second temple in both countries”, Newsroom, LDS Church, 2018-02-28↩
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, “Nuevo Templo Mormón en Barranquilla, Colombia,” 26 Jun. 2012.↩